This files most often diagnosed fungus on my big toe. The sooner you get started treatment, the lower the probability that the infection will spread to other nails and cause serious complications. About the specifics of this disease and fight it we will discuss in today's article.
Causes of fungus on big toe
The main cause of onychomycosis is the violation of hygienic rules. Great importance is communication with a person who is sick with this disease. For example, without compliance with preventive recommendations by the fungus becoming infected environment infected.
The structure of the nail plate of the thumb largely contributes to the development of onychomycosis. The growth and reproduction of colonies of mycelium, is easier in it. A large number of nerve endings and blood vessels compared to the other fingers, leads to the fact that in this area is rather uncomfortable.
Nail fungus on the big toe may develop on the background of the following adverse factors:
- endocrine problems;
- varicose veins;
- serious infections — HIV, hepatitis, etc.;
- wearing poor quality shoes.
In childhood onychomycosis of the big toe is rare. At that time, like the elderly, this pathology is diagnosed quite often. This is due to reduced protective forces of an organism and age-related changes.
When should I contact a specialist?
Address to the dermatologist or mycologist to the clinic must be timely. The earlier a problem is identified and treated, the less consequences and complications will arise.
The initial symptoms of nail fungus big toe can be eliminated in 1-2 months. If the pathological process moved to the running stage to fight it will take at least six months.
A special tool, which attracts with the price and ease of application, which is used from onychomycosis. These medicines are dispensed from pharmacies without a prescription. Their purpose important in the early stages of onychomycosis. The principle of operation of a therapeutic varnish is the softening of the tissues of the nail and antimicrobial effect. Due to the liquid structure, the tool easily penetrates into the deepest layers of the plate, killing the fungus at the cellular level.
Local antifungals: creams, ointments and sprays
External medications should be applied not only on the zone of fungal plates, but also on the skin adjacent to them to enhance the therapeutic effect. Such tools are very rarely provoke the development of adverse reactions of systemic nature on the part of the body, as they are practically not absorbed into the General circulation, so they are considered to be quite effective in fighting disease. But if the infection is run, and their application may be unjustified. Therefore, the selection of any prescription antifungals or oral, should be dealt with a dermatologist.
Before using external anti-fungal medication it is important to prepare the nail plate for therapeutic effects. To do this, they soften with the help of foot baths, and then gently rasp and cut along the edge with nail scissors. Most medications it is recommended to apply up to two times a day for several months. To avoid the return of nail fungus, the use of the medication continued for 2 weeks after diagnosed recovery.
Medicinal antifungals for oral administration
If we are talking about the chronic fungal infection, cure it only with the help of local drugs is almost impossible. The fact that infectious agents in this case are not present only in the tissues of the nail plate, they choose a different path, affecting the internal organs as a result of penetration into the General circulation. This situation negatively affects the immune system, causing the development and exacerbation of somatic diseases and So launched onychomycosis cannot be ignored.
The specialist selects the complex treatment of nail fungus in the form of a diagram with outer and oral antifungals. Tools for internal reception are available in the form of tablets or capsules. Getting into the body through the digestive tract, they are absorbed into the systemic circulation and destroy the spores mycelium in its tissues, including in the area of the thumb.
Treatment of folk remedies
Among the recipes of traditional medicine in the fight against ungual fungus found the use of the following medications:
- Iodine. To bring pathogens of onychomycosis with thumb use a foot bath with the addition of 8 drops of the preparation for 3 liters of water. The steamed plate is cut along the edge with scissors and remove the upper Horny layer of the nail file, and then treated with hydrogen peroxide and cause any anti-fungal ointment. Events repeat every day until the disappearance of symptoms.
- Vinegar. In hot water with 9% table Apple cider vinegar lower your feet for 15 minutes. Bath will soften the nails, so after the procedure it is necessary to remove loose tissue with a nail set. In the early stages of the disease, the procedure is carried out daily as a separate method of treatment within 2 weeks in advanced fungus bath with vinegar automatically becomes a component of systemic therapy.
- Lemon. A fresh slice of citrus is applied to the thumb nail infected with fungus and fix the bandage. Compress do all night. The product acts like vinegar, so after waking up the nails cleaned of loose fragments.
- The celandine. Fresh juice of the plant applied to the surface of foci of onychomycosis and skin, next to him. The treatment is repeated every 2 hours with good tolerability of medicinal plants within 14 days.
- Potatoes. Clean vegetables cook in unsalted water and the resulting liquid to steam the foot affected by fungus. Then, on sick nails, apply a paste of potato cake in the form of a mask for 20 minutes. Rinse with water and treat the nail plate with pork fat. The procedure is practiced daily.
- Coffee. A natural product brewed and cooled to 45°C. the hot liquid down the feet for 15 minutes. After the coffee bath foot is rinsed with running water and treated with any anti-fungal cream. The course of treatment 10 days.
- Garlic. A few cloves of vegetables shredded on a grater and mix the resulting slurry with 1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol. The tool is applied to the pockets of onychomycosis every day as a compress for 25 minutes.
- Kombucha. Piece of product is cleaned from unnecessary films and dirt, crushed to a pulp and rubbed gently into the stratum corneum of the nail plate. The remaining mass is applied on the cloth as a compress for 20 minutes. The procedure is repeated daily.
- Soda. On the basis of sodium bicarbonate do softening foot bath and pasta with keratolytic effect. For cooking 2 tbsp of baking soda mixed with a small amount of water to a pulp. The resulting mixture is applied to the affected nails covering the top with plastic wrap and bandage. The poultice should be left on all night. In the morning mollita fabric is cut, in the evening repeat the manipulation again.
- White. And household chemicals has found application in folk medicine. It is applied with a cotton swab, not diluted to a pre-steamed and peeled nails and leave to soak for 20 minutes. White does not wash off until morning. After waking up the feet clean large amounts of cool water.
In some cases, surgical intervention is necessary?
Surgical removal of the nail plate may be necessary when running the onychomycosis and ineffective therapy for local and systemic antimykotika. Some patients prefer a surgical approach because of the duration and cost of conservative treatment.
Removal of a nail on the thumb of the hand or foot surgical procedure ensures complete recovery from the onychomycosis and has no side effects, unlike the use of medications.
If there is fungus on the nail of the great toe and the patient is pursuing treatment, but did not see any noticeable results — there are doubts about the inappropriateness apply of therapy. Usually such situations are observed in individuals who are self-selection of drugs without visiting a specialist.
Faced with a lack of expected therapeutic effect, such people are accused of failures of manufacturers of medicines, but in fact, the reason lies not in poor quality product. Consider the basic errors of the patients who decided to cure nail fungus by yourself:
- Incorrect diagnosis of extent of injury. If at the initial stage the disease is easily eliminated non-specific antiseptics (hydrogen peroxide, brilliant green, iodine, etc.). and therapeutic varnishes, in case of advanced onychomycosis require the heavy artillery of drugs systemic and local effects. Due to inexperience, many people choose only the external antifungals, limited to the ointment or gel, so it is not surprising that the result from such therapy is not available when it's time to drink antifungal pills.
- Illiterate selection of drugs. There are a large number of pathogens of onychomycosis, and to combat them, created antimycotic means of broad-spectrum. But there are situations when actin the substance of the drug is ineffective against specific microorganisms, in this case, treatment with inappropriate medicines is ineffective. Therefore, the use of a particular antimycotic to associate with this type of fungal infection to speed up the healing process.
- Irregularity of therapy. To get rid of onychomycosis of the big toe, the treatment should be strictly selected scheme without any interruptions in the use of medicines. Systematic cleaning and removal of loose fragments of nail plate and handling their funds with fungicidal and fungistatic action intentionally prevents the progression of the pathological process, pathogens lose their ability to reproduction and growth in such conditions. A pass in use of the drug slows recovery and increases the resistance of the spores of the mycelium to the action of antifungals.
- Failure to observe the rules of hygiene. Fungus on the thumb is a danger not only for the nearest surroundings, but also by the patient, since germs are everywhere — on bedding, clothing, etc. the Rare change of hosiery and other factors contribute to the continuous autoinfection and negatively affect the effectiveness of the therapy.
Early onychomycosis of the big toe is not dangerous and has no adverse effect on the human body. The activated form of disease triggers the development of complications, which in a literal sense, undermine our health. These include:
- the spread of infectious agents for the next healthy skin and nails;
- the deterioration of the immune defense;
- a chronic disease with a lesion of internal organs;
- exacerbation of chronic inflammatory processes;
- aesthetic changes in the appearance of the nail plate, up to full their destruction.
If you continue to sit idle and not to go to the doctor at a late stage of pathology, myceliums fungi begin to actively proliferate in the human body, and their metabolic products can cause the following complications:
- toxicoderma — acute inflammatory process of allergic nature, which is the type of severe dermatitis: a rash when it is localized not only in the outbreak of onychomycosis and skin of the body, but also on the mucous membranes;
- Lyell's syndrome — complicated form toxicoderma, which is accompanied by the development of necrotic changes;
- hepatopathy, acute defeat of liver cells that is characterized by skin rashes, colic in the right hypochondrium, General weakness, jaundice, vomiting with admixture of blood and ascites — accumulation of fluid in the peritoneum.
The effects of nail fungus big toe without proper treatment can lead to a rather dismal results — toxic effect is observed not only in the liver but in the heart, kidneys and other vital organs. No treatment in such situations fatal in 95% of patients.